I´m in the Terminal Terreste of Arequipa, killing time. I walked down here (its 3km off my map) and got semi lost. Sketchy area of the city. But, it was noon on a Sunday so I wasn´t too concerned. When I got here at 1230 the 1pm to Chivay was already sold out. SO I´m grabbing the 3pm. It takes about 3 hours to get there and its right on top of Colca Canyon, so I´m going to stay there tonight. Tomorrow I´ll hopefully make my way to Cabaconade (sp?) where I can take a day hike down into the canyon.
Hopefully be back in Arequipa by the 18th where I can grab another bus up to Nazca for one day, as I need to hurry up to hit the spots left up the coast.
Arequipa has been an interesting city. Some of the colonial architecture lived up to its billing, and most historical buildings are made of volcanic rock, the likes of which I´ve never seen. Yesterday I went to Santa Catalina Monastery, a giant place that takes up an entire city block. Some very interesting history there, mostly to do with well-to-do families sending their second daughters there for 4 years of novice training (vow of silence, etc.) with a 100 gold coin a year dowry. Founded in 1579, much hijinx ensued. The nuns had it pretty good, servants/slaves, parties, and no work -- but limited contact with their family and the outside. That was until 1870 when the Vatican stepped in and "cleaned" things up, impressing a regime of stoicism upon the community.
The italian place I ate at the other night was fantastic. Indeed, Arequipa is by far the most modern place I´ve been here. Obviously I expect Lima to be ever more so.
Well that´s it for now, off to 2nd deepest canyon in the world (twice as deep as the grand canyon)... hopefully to spot some Andean Condors and get some nice hiking in.
Buenes tardes
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment