I am back in the white city. Got in yesterday around 1pm, got lost walking from the Terminal Terreste to the old city (my guidebook maps only covers city centres.... then has arrows down some streets with "Bus station, 2km" etc on it). This makes it rewarding/educational to wander in random streets of random cities but elevates the risk of robbery and murder considerably. I dont know to what to attribute the lack of attempted muggings on my person to my being a young male or the mean look I walk around sporting. I wandered into an incredible hostel around 5pm. I stayed there 1 night before, but the rooms with private bathroom are 37 soles, and a bit too pricey to stay. Thankfully they had 1 room left with shared bathroom (22 soles). Brilliant. Theyve got a patio and sweet TV rooms. Im really worn out from hiking and bus rides. I hiked 6 or 7 hours the day before yesterday and the day before that and the 4 hour bus ride from Chivay to Arequipa is rough. I think Ill stay here some more days and just relax. In said sweet TV rooms I watched Slumdog Millionaire last night, and that recent movie where reees witherspoon is a ghost in this guys apartment. Both good movies. Slumdog has been critisized as "poverty-porno".... Im not sure how to show poverty in a film without being accused of glorifying it. I came feeling they glorified the people to an extent, not the poverty itself. Anyways, I am in internet Nirvana.... pics and videos from Puno train trip and festival to the Uros Islands and Amantani Island...
No comments:
Post a Comment