So it began drizzling as I made my way back to my hostel from downtown to settle my bill during business hours. This is the rainy season I thought? It had drizzled a total of 2 hours in a week of sunshine and perfect 22 degree temperatures. Then things picked up, and drizzle turned to downpour. By the time I hit my hostel´s street it was hailing. Its been continuing for about 2 hours now with varying degrees of intensity. No real problems now, my t-shirt and shorts are hung up to dry and my fellow hostellers, from England to Washington, are holed up safe and sound.
The problem is tomorrow I begin hiking the Inca trail. It is not going to be a fun time if it is constantly raining, especially from a mud under feet perspective. Its not like at the end of the day we get into a house or anything either. Tents have a way of keeping you cold and wet. Ive gone through some lengths to try and ensure they know this is the hostel Im staying at to pick me up tomorrow at 7am.... but I didnt ever talk directly to someone in Cusco. We´ll see.
I found out some other interesting things. There are only about 6 traffic light intersections in the whole city, and they work slightly differently than in Canada. Namely when the little walking man turns from green to red it doesnt mean you have 5 seconds or what have you. It means cars can go. Of course since my Jwalking skills have come in so handily I was overconfident and never invested in watching how said pedestrian system worked until I found myself running across a four lane street and practically jumping over the last lane/car to the curb. Two things about Peruvian cars, one good, one bad. Good: they are all crappy volkswagens with hoods like 2 feet off the ground (good for leaping over). Bad: they dont care if they hit you.
Over breakfast at my new favourite crepery I met a dutch man, about 35 Id say, whose sole purpose in coming to Peru was to learn from the shamans. Thats two shaman students in one week I´ve met! He seemed quite normal too. Im not sure what else to say except that I made him laugh when he asked me why I was staying in Peru for so long and I told him that it was cold in Canada this time of year.
The sky is starting to clear, I think Im going to grab some pizza or something western for dinner tonight in anticipation of my arduous journey. I havent made it past 7pm any night so far... fingers crossed this is the night! One more note to induce jealousy -- in preparation for my 4 day hike I got an hour long full body massage today. I wont even say how cheap it was for fear of having no friends upon my return.
Next post wont be until at least the 20th, most likely the 21st since I will be on my way to Machu Picchu!
Best
Gareth
Friday, January 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment