I am going to Peru. I'm flying into Lima on the 10th of January and I won't be back until March 3rd. It is going to be an adventure and the purpose of this blog is to catalogue it. Why Peru? I have always wanted to see Machu Picchu, its warm -- much warmer than Kingston this time of year -- and I hear the food is great.
As some of you know I was not doing very well around ten months ago. Medical issues forced me to take a step back from school and running Diatribe magazine. Around that time I lost my wonderful girlfriend, and subsequently withdrew from most of my friends and family.
Well what a difference (less than) a year makes. I'm in great health and spirits, and have been very productive in the past few months -- probably the most productive I've ever been during undergrad. I've gotten back into good shape for the first time since I got to Queen's (3 years ago), and that feels great. Things haven't gone perfectly, there has been stress, and loss, in my life. But how I've responded has been the difference. I have my friends and family to thank.
What a better time to take a vacation? I guess you could say going to Peru will be the culmination of a process of rejuvenation for me. I'm certainly lucky -- most of you know I'm paying for the trip on nothing but poker winnings.
This will be the only post of this nature, future ones will be about the trip itself. Right now all I've done is bought my plane ticket (for the dates above), got some plans, and sent in for a new passport. Maybe next post will be a brief outline of that plan. It will have to be an outline, because I plan on not planning too much.
Best,
Gareth
Friday, November 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had no idea any of this was going on, but I look forward to reading your adventures via blog.
Post a Comment